Palakkai Kola Urundai (Vegetarian Mutton Kola Urundai)

Till I was having non-vegetarian fare, I remember we used to order this mutton kola urundai for sure! The spice, texture along with the minced mutton is definitely a must order on our list. But, now after I decided to have a completely vegetarian fare, I was exploring all sorts of recipes that would still give me the spice kick.

I have been using raw jackfruit as a meat replacement in most of my dishes, don't know why I never ventured to try the kola urundai in that. Finally I did, and I should say it was just the perfect replacement for my meat cravings!!

Mutton Palakai Kola Urundai:

What you need:


1 Cup Chopped Palakai
1/4 Tsp Turmeric
Salt as required
2 Tsp Oil
1 Clove
1 Small Piece Cinnamon
1/2 Tsp Kasa Kasa
1/2 Tsp Fennel Seeds
3 Tbsp Fried Gram or Pottu Kadalai
4 Pods Garlic
A Small Piece Ginger
1 Green Chilli
1 Red Chilli
4 Small Onions or Shallots
2 Tbsp Grated Coconut
Oil For Frying








What you do:
  • Pressure cook the Palakai with little turmeric and salt and keep aside.
  • In a pan, heat the oil and roast the rest of the ingredients. 
  • Grind the roasted ingredients with salt, keeping in mind you added salt to the palakkai too. Don't add any water.
  • Mash the Palakkai with your hand.
  • Mix the ground paste with the mashed palakkai well.
  • At this stage, if the mixture is too spicy add some more fried gram powder or little coconut. Adjust salt too.
  • Make small balls of the mixture.
  • Deep fry these balls in oil.
  • Serve as it is or with rice and sambhar!

In the same recipe you can simply replace Palakkai with well cooked and smashed mutton!!




Comments