Pasta In A Creamy Bell Pepper Sauce

I am on a quest to find out sauces for pasta that are yummy and creamy other than the usual white and red sauce. I have already posted a mushroom sauce pasta and another one that was well loved at home was the pumpkin sauce pasta. Will post that recipe soon - but for now lets look at this creamy bell pepper sauce.

Since I had so much capsicums in my pantry, had to find an innovative way to use it than making usual curries and pulao with it. This led me to discover a pasta made with grilled bell peppers. But, the one they all used was the red bell pepper and it looked so good on the pictures! But, blimey - All I was left was with the green one, so went ahead and made this.

Here I grill the bell peppers or oven roast them for 20 minutes. If you have an oven with broiler function, you can broil it for 4 to 5 minutes. Or just pan roast it without oil till it gets slightly charred on all sides.


Pasta in a Creamy Bell Pepper Sauce:

What You Need:

1 Cup Penne Or Any Pasta Of Your Choice Cooked As Per Packet Instructions (Reserve the pasta broth)
2 Tbsp Olive Oil Or Any Flavourless Oil
1 Tsp Black Pepper
A Pinch Of Salt
3 Green or Red Bell Pepper
1 Onion Chopped
4 Cloves Garlic Chopped
1/2 Cup Milk
1 Tsp Oregano
1 Tsp Chilly Flakes
1 Tsp Basil
1 Tsp Thyme
1 Tsp Rose Mary (Use any italian seasonings you have)
1/2 Cup Cheese (Optional - I used Cheddar)
Salt as required.

What You Do:

  • Toss the whole bell peppers in 1 Tbsp oil, pepper and salt and grill them till the outside is little charred. It took me 20 minutes in my oven with rotating it in-between.
  • Heat another 1 tbsp oil in a pan and saute the onions and garlic.
  • De-seed the bell peppers and grind them with onions and garlic to a puree. 
  • Pour the puree into a pan and add milk.
  • Add pasta broth to get sauce consistency and add the Italian seasonings and salt and simmer for few minutes.
  • Add the boiled pasta and cheese if adding and mix well and simmer for a couple of minutes.
You can add some fresh cream in the end to make it even creamy! Cheese is completely optional, but being the cheese lover that I am, I added some!

Comments